WHAT IS POLLUTION
As we all know air is essential for life as it supplies us with oxygen. But the question is; what exactly the air is made up of? Air is a mixture of different gases containing;
- 78% nitrogen
- 21% oxygen
- along with traces of water vapour, carbon dioxide, argon and various other components.
Pollution is contamination of air with particles such as dust, dirt, soot, smoke and gases like nitrogen oxide, sulfur dioxide, carbon monoxide, ozone and VOCs (volatile organic compounds).
HOW DOES POLLUTION AFFECT THE SKIN?
Skin is our first line of defence to all pollutants and other environmental stressors such as UV rays, harsh climates etc. When skin is exposed to pollutants, they not only sit on the skin surface but get absorbed into deeper layers by penetrating through skin pores.
Some particles, such as dust, dirt, soot and smoke are large enough or appear dark enough to be seen with the naked eye in the air or on your washcloth after wiping your face. Other particles are so small that they can only be seen by a microscope.
All forms of pollutants can collect on your skin and lead to negative sequelae by causing:
- production of free radicals
- disruption of
- breakdown of collagen
Which can accelerate premature ageing of the skin. Other skin conditions associated with pollution include:
- skin sensitivity
- dull complexion
Research studies have proved that pollution increases aging process by 10%.
HOW CAN YOU PROTECT SKIN FROM POLLUTION?
- Cleansing. Cleansing morning and night is the most important thing you can do to protect your skin from pollution. Make sure to cleanse your neck and decollete as well. You can also read our blog on cleansing for more details.
- Antioxidants: Use a serum packed with antioxidants every day, morning and night, to neutralize harmful free radicals produced by pollution. AlumierMD Alumiance A.G.E serum is designed specifically to fight pollution
.Somepeople always notice a dullness on their face no matter how many skin care products they have tried. AlumianceA.G.E is a very light weightserum that absorbs into deeper skin layers to lift skin’s complexion.
- Moisturize. Use the right moisturizer to protect
skin’slipid barrier and to replenish the skin’s lost moisture caused by pollution