WHY IS SKIN HYDRATION IMPORTANT?
Aside from sunscreen, moisturizer is the most crucial part of any skin-care routine. Dehydrated skin can become dull over time due to temperature changes, lack of sleep and hormonal imbalance.
IMPORTANCE OF MOISTURIZING
Moisturizers restore skin’s natural hydro-lipid barrier by drawing and locking in moisture, nourishing and repairing the skin by reducing water loss and enhancing natural skin lipids. Dehydrated skin can lead to issues like uneven skin texture and skin tone, visible signs of aging, dull complexion, inflammation and breakouts.
WHEN TO MOISTURIZE?
REMINDER: DON’T IGNORE THE NECK AND CHEST.
WATER-BASED VS OIL-BASED MOISTURIZERS:
Selecting an appropriate moisturizer can be tough. Pay attention to the following tips when choosing a moisturizer.
- NORMAL SKIN: Pick a WATER-BASED moisturizer which is lightweight and non-greasy.
- DRY SKIN: Without a daily dose of moisturizer, your skin would be itchy, tight, flaky or even peel. To soothe and revive dry skin, you should use an OIL-BASED, heavier, and richer moisturizer to trap moisture inside your skin.
- OILY SKIN: Oily skin needs moisturizer just as much as dry skin. It is because when your skin is dry, it will start to trigger oil production to balance it out. You should look for WATER-BASED moisturizers that are oil-free and non-comedogenic. Oil-free moisturizer gives your skin sufficient moisture without extra shine while moisturizer that is labeled non-comedogenic would not cause clogged pores and breakouts.
- COMBINATION SKIN: Treating combination skin is complicated. Choose an oil-based moisturizer for dry areas and a water-based, oil-free moisturizer for oily T-zone. Indeed, it is very time-consuming and costly, but your skin will gratitude for what you did.
- SENSITIVE SKIN: Opt for a moisturizer that is gentle, oil-free, paraben-free, hypoallergenic, fragrance-free and dye-free because these can cause irritation. The more ingredients inside a moisturizer, the higher chance the moisturizer cause havoc on your skin. Hence, try to choose a moisturizer with minimum ingredients.
Keep in mind that your skin type may vary depending on varying factors. You may need to change your moisturizer over time. Besides, the requirement of skin on moisturizer also affected by the change of seasons, environment and other circumstances.
TIPS WHEN USING A MOISTURIZER:
- Apply moisturizer before sunscreen.
- Moisturize before bed.
- Moisturize your skin daily to prevent premature aging.
- Apply moisturizer to damp skin instead of dry skin.
- Apply in upward strokes.
- Do not forget to cover your neck and chest.
- Do not apply too much of moisturizer which might clog your pores and leave your skin greasy.
- Do not rub vigorously into your face.
- Moisturizer serves as a protective barrier for your skin, keep the water in your skin from evaporating, yet defend your skin against harsh pollutants.
CHOOSING THE RIGHT MOISTURIZER
If you started off with dry skin and chose a moisturizer accordingly, after a few months of regularly using that moisturizer, your skin might not be as dehydrated as you started with. So, your skin care professional can then shift you to a NORMAL skin moisturizer, because if you keep using that same moisturizer which was adding all the moisture to treat your dehydrated skin, it can start clogging your pores once the dehydration has been treated and you can shift from dry to oily skin which can lead to blemishes.
- Sensitive and rosacea skin should choose moisturizers with naturally calming ingredients to reduce inflammation and redness.
Changing moisturizers help balance moisture level and keep skin healthy looking
- Oily skin in winter can become dry. So, change your moisturizer accordingly to get that flawless, radiant smooth skin texture.
AlumierMD has 5 different moisturizers to suit the need of every skin type and skin condition. Read the details of individual moisturizers in our product section of our website.