MOST EFFECTIVE PRODUCT TO PREVENT AGING
You guys will be surprised to know its sunscreen. Yes. You read that right.
A sunscreen can do a lot more for your skin than any other anti-aging product. Sunscreen is not only meant for summer or sunny days; you should apply it even in winter or on cloudy days because the sun rays can pass through the clouds to damage the skin. Sun rays can also pass through glass windows so I recommend you apply sunscreen even when you are home on sunny days.
Over the last 25 years, more UVB rays have been penetrating the atmosphere because of the thinning of the ozone layer, increasing the risk for
TYPES OF SUN DAMAGE:
- Short-term damage: presents as sunburn.
- Long-term damage: known as photo-aging.
TYPES OF UV RAYS:
- UVB rays: These rays have a wavelength of 290-320nm. They damage the superficial skin layer called epidermis and are the main cause of sunburn and tan. These rays account for only 5% of the sun rays but are responsible for skin cancers. UVB rays are seasonal. They are more potent during summer and at high altitudes.
- UVA rays: These rays have a wavelength of 320-400nm. They penetrate deeper into dermis causing damage to collagen and elastin leading to photo-aging. These rays account for 95% of the sun rays. They mainly cause photo-aging but can also damage skin cells to cause skin cancers. UVA rays are present throughout the year at the same intensity during daylight hours.
WHAT SPF NUMBER SHOULD I USE?
A minimum of SPF 30 is recommended with both UVB and UVA protection. If your sunscreen only has UVB coverage, it will protect you from sun burn and let you stay in the sun for longer period but it can increase your risk of developing skin cancers by not providing any UVA protection.SPF of 30 blocks 96.7% of UV rays so that only 3.3% will get through, compared with an SPF of 15 which blocks 93.3% of UV rays and lets through 6.7% – twice as much.
MINERAL VS CHEMICAL SUNSCREEN:
- MINERAL TYPE: These contain zinc oxide and titanium oxide which are safe, gentle and natural minerals. These are called “physical filters.” They don’t absorb into skin cells; they sit on the skin surface and provide maximum protection by reflecting both UVB and UVA sun rays. Mineral-based sunscreens are free of all irritants, thus are suitable for even sensitive skin.
- CHEMICAL TYPE: Chemical filters like oxybenzone, octinoxate, homosalate, avobenzone, octocrylene and octisalate get absorbed into skin and convert UV rays light energy into heat causing potential health hazards. Many sunscreen chemicals are known or suspected hormone disruptors, allergens and carcinogens.
WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR IN MY SUNSCREEN?
A good sunscreen sould have the following 3 main things.
- Broad spectrum: providing coverage to both UVB and UVA rays.
- Mineral based: which is free of chemical filters and contain zinc oxide and titanium oxide.
- Contains antioxidants: to provide protection from free radicals. Sunscreens only protect up to 55% from free radicals. AlumierMD sunscreens are packed with different types of antioxidants for a full range of protection.
HOW OFTEN SHOULD I APPLY SUNSCREEN?
- 15 minutes before you leave home.
- Re-apply every 2-3 hours if long exposure to the sun. Sun rays are strongest between 11am till 4pm. So try and limit your sun exposure during these hours.
- Re-apply after swimming, washing, towel drying or heavy perspiration.
WHERE CAN I FIND THE BEST SUNSCREEN?
AlumierMD sunscreens are the best.
- They are mineral based.
- Free of chemical filters. * Contain antioxidants.
- Has SPF of 40-42 with broad-spectrum protection.
- Zinc oxide does not leave a white layer on the skin.
AlumierMD has sunscreen for every skin type and skin condition:
- Sheer Hydration broad spectrum with SPF 40 is the best option for dry skin. It comes in un-tinted and versatile tint.
- Clear Shield broad spectrum SPF 42 is best for oily skin, rosacea-prone skin and for men.
- Moisture Matte broad spectrum SPF 40 is the best option for those who are looking for a tinted matte finish. Comes in 3 different skin tones; light, medium, and dark.
Book your FREE consultation today. Come and try our different sunscreens before you place an order so you dont end up wasting your money on the wrong sunscreen.